Let us know how we're doing to better serve you.
Contact us with any questions or concerns you may have day or night online.
Get to know our knowledgeable physicians.
November 24, 2009
Early Detection Makes A Difference
What Is MRI Breast Imaging?
MRI technology can be applied to generate extremely detailed images of breas...
Be sure to follow your doctor’s orders when preparing for this test.
Tell your doctor if you
- Have any allergies or other medical conditions
- Are pregnant, nursing, or planning to become pregnant
- Have reduced kidney or liver function
Tell your doctor if you are currently taking any of the following drugs
- Drugs for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) (eg, Adderall XR®, Ritalin®)
- Antidepressants (eg, Wellbutrin®, Zoloft®)
- Weight-loss medications or appetite suppressants
- Smoking cessation medications
Your doctor will tell you whether or not you need to stop using these drugs for a short period of time before your DaTscan test.
On the day of the test
- Drink plenty of fluids and go to the bathroom frequently before your DaTscan test (and for two days afterwards)
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing because you will have to lie still for a period of time
- Bring a list of all the medications you are taking
What to expect during the test
The entire process takes several hours. The test will be performed by a specially trained healthcare professional; this may be a doctor, nurse, or technologist.
- At least one hour before the DaTscan dose, you will receive another drug to prevent the iodine in DaTscan from going into your thyroid, which may increase the risk of a type of thyroid cancer.
- Before the test begins, DaTscan will be injected through an intravenous (IV) line in your arm. Because it takes time for DaTscan to be appropriately distributed in the body, you will need to wait three to six hours after this injection for the imaging test to begin.
- For the imaging test, you will be asked to lie on a table and the healthcare professional will position you on a headrest. A strip of tape, or some other flexible restraint, may be placed across your forehead or chin to prevent your head from moving during the test.
- A camera will be positioned above you. It will be very close to your head, but it should not touch you. You must try to remain as still as possible while the camera takes pictures (about 30 minutes).
The staff at Advanced Imaging has over 75 years of experience in the imaging industry! With that kind of experience you can rest assured that you are in the best hands.